Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipe #12 - Salt and Pepper Salmon
















http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/salt-and-pepper-salmon-recipe/index.html

I usually don't like to start out with a picture of the finished product, but I couldn't help myself because this looked so good.  The orange hues of the the crispy top with the pale pink middle atop a bed of red bliss potatoes with peas and onions......but I'm getting way ahead of myself so let's start at the beginning.

It was a Tuesday night in mid May and I hadn't even blogged about the last recipe, "Chicken Parmesan #11," but I was in the mood for fish and figured it wouldn't take too long to make.  Tyler's recipe says it takes about 30 minutes.  I've learned that if I double the time, that's about how long it really takes to make the dish.  So an hour to cook dinner on a school night is manageable.

I decided to pick up the majority of the ingredients from Whole Foods.  It was a little more expensive than my usually Stop and Shop, but the quality of their fish is worth it.  I also feel that the fishmongers (love that word) know more about how to cut the fillet.  So many times I've ended up getting the end of the fish which is thin and cooks too fast.  Not at whole foods!  They gave me a nice middle thick cut which I think you'll need for this recipe.

Anywho, enough free advertising for whole foods.  They don't sponsor me.....yet.


Ingredients from left to right include but are not limited to, curly parsley, watercress, baby dill, lemons, red bliss potatoes, and the salmon wrapped up nicely in some fish paper.  Is it called fish paper?  Maybe it's called meat and fish paper since I think they wrap up meat in it too.  Not that it's really important to any of this but I felt like throwing those questions out there.    And I see you frozen green peas.  You can't hide from me.   


Before doing anything with the Salmon you'll want to make the smashed (not mashed) potatoes.  Tyler doesn't tell you this so if you were to just follow the recipe from the top you'd end up making the Salmon and then letting it sit and get cold while you make the potatoes. 

I cut them into quarters so they would cook quickly.  Toss them in a pot and cover with cold water and bring to boil.

Just in case you didn't know what potatoes in water look like.  Now you know and according to GI Joe, knowing is half the battle.  What is the other half?  Did they ever tell you?  I'm guessing it's knife skills, bow skills, shooting skills....and so on.
 
While the potatoes are cooking get the other ingredients for the potatoes ready.   
Lemon slices, Parsley, Dill, Lemon Zest and Watercress.  I don't think I was supposed to chop the watercress but it was too late, so I just mixed it all in.
Start cooking the pearl onions and lemon juice in a pan of olive oil and butter.   Add the peas and lemon slices and whatever else Mr. F tells you to do in the recipe. 

If you look closely or from far away you will not see any pearl onions.  You know why?  Because I can't find pearl onions anywhere!  I went to whole foods and did they have any?  No.  So maybe up in the Northeast we don't use pearl onions so no one carries them.  Please let me know if you see them anywhere.  Frozen, fresh, 2 weeks old.  Any pearl onion sightings will be appreciated.   Oh and by the way, I used a regular onion chopped up.
When the potatoes are done, fork tender, strain them and peel off as much of the skin as possible.  Be careful cause they will be hot.  Use a fork to hold them and peel with a little knife or your fingers if you have a high tolerance for pain.  When the vegetable mixture is done, pour them over the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, a little olive oil, and cover to keep warm while you make the salmon. 

Here comes the easy part.  Cut your salmon filet into whatever size portion you want.  Something like 4 inches wide is about right I think.  Sprinkle with kosher salt (thank you rabbi), and let sit while you heat some olive oil in a large pan.  

Hello salted salmon.

Season the salmon with pepper and rub some butter onto the skin side.  This will help it get crispy and not stick to the pan. When the pan is smoking (not burning) add the salmon skin side down and cook for about 6 minutes.  You'll see the salmon changing color from bottom to top.  

Color starting to change.  Should have taken a video of this to demonstrate the coolness of it.  But you get the idea.

After about 6 minutes or when most of the salmon has cooked, flip it over and cook the top for about 2 minutes.  

Crispy skin!  I never liked salmon skin until I had it this way.  Is it bad for you like chicken skin?  I hope not cause I ate it all and even some of the wife's.

Remove from the pan and place on a bed of smashed potatoes.  



I'm going to let this picture speak for itself, but since pictures can't speak I'll write what I think it would say. "I love how the colors or orange, pink, greens, purples combine to create a dish fit for a fine dining establishment!" 

And I'd have to agree with the speaking picture.  I was very impressed with how this dish came out.  Fairly easy to make, presents very professionally and tastes even better than it looks.  Best salmon I've ever made or had.  Crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth inside.  Be careful not to overcook it as it could get dry.  Always better to undercook salmon in my opinion.

Pair with a nice Pinot Grigio or a fruity Riesling and you're got a meal to impress your family and friends.

I would give this my 4 clean plates award but there were only two of us so I give it the 2 clean plate award!  You might think that this is like giving something 2 out of 4 stars, but it's not.  Just go with me on it.

Next up:
Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/stuffed-bacon-cheeseburgers-recipe/index.html






 




4 comments:

  1. I've seen pearl onions in the frozen section before...

    Couldn't you peel the potatoes before boiling them?

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog!
    Pearl onions are often in the frozen food section both in and not in cream sauce. I've sometimes caught sight of them in the fresh produce but that's rare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    I always look in the frozen veggie section and either find the cream ones or the ones with peas and they only give you like 1 onion per 50 peas. I should just order some from amazon and keep a supply in the freezer. Can you order pearl onions online?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can buy fresh ones through Amazon (Which I think is creepy):http://www.amazon.com/Melissas-Assorted-Pearl-Onions-Packages/dp/B0000TL5V4

    I'd think there'd be other ways to purchase them on-line but none come to mind. I did check http://www.dartagnan.com/ 'cause they usually have everything but, alas, no onions.

    ReplyDelete