Thursday, May 12, 2011

Recipe #10 - Chicken Kebab Salad

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-kebab-salad-recipe/index.html

It's been a few weeks since my last entry and it's probably due to the fact that I didn't enjoy this recipe.  1 out of 10 isn't so bad.  If I can cook 100 Tyler recipe and only 10 upset me then I'll be happy.  But I'll tell you this readers, I was not happy during the making of this meal.

Maybe it was the fact that I decided to attempt this on a weeknight where all my other recipes have been cooked on a weekend.  Did I have a bad day at work?  Stressed out about high gas prices?  Could have been a combination of many things and the fact that I'm writing this a few weeks after I made the dish, I really can't recall.

So anyways, let's get started and see what caused the Chicken Kebab Recipe to fail me.

Quite a few ingredients.  Chicken, Sausage, chicken sausage (optional), anchovies, french bread, rebecca romaine lettuce, lemons, bay leaves, Parmesan cheese.  Ok well it's not that many ingredients but it seemed like a lot.

The recipe calls for 8 links of pork sausage but since the wife and our special guest Michelle do not eat pork sausage, I bought 4 chicken sausage and 4 pork.  Now before you go running out to your grocer and buy 8 links of sausage, you should be warned that unless you want a mound of leftover sausage (see below), you can get by with 4 total.

Mound of leftover sausage.  Looks pretty good but there was just too much of it for the recipe. 

The recipe in itself is pretty straight forward, but I feel like I could have made the same dish with less steps and hassle. Tyler has you cut up the chicken, the sausage, and the bread and put it together on skewers like so.
My super fast knife skills.  Don't stare at it for too long or you will go blind.....just temporarily.

Bread, chicken, bay leaf, sausage and repeat.  Always repeat. 

Then you put on some salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice and put them on the grill.



Flaming kebabs.  Notice the mound of sausage on the right. 
And while the kebabs are cooking you have to make the dressing which is probably where I started to panic.  When I'm grilling I don't like to be distracted.  And making this dressing was a distraction.  I need to be near the grill and ready to flip or turn at any given moment.   Thankfully Michelle was able to help with the dressing and other assorted tasks or I might have just given up completely and ordered a pizza.

So after the dressing was done, I went back to the grill to find most of the bread blackened along with undercooked sausage and chicken.  How can Mr. Tyler think that you can cook chicken and sausage the same time that it takes to cook raw meat?!  And here is my biggest issue with this recipe.  Why even put these on skewers when you are going to be taking them off and mixing them into a salad?!  A friggin waste of of time and efficiency!  

Just continued to make me mad and I don't get mad easily, especially while I'm cooking.  I like to cook for the creativity and relaxation.  This recipe offered little of that.  If I was to do this again, and I might, I would cook the chicken and sausage on the grill, toast the bread in the oven, and combine it all without any god damn skewers!

Anywho, if you're still reading this and want to know how it came out, it was pretty good.  Big thanks to Michelle for putting it all together when I decided to give up on life.


The finished salad.  Looks tasty and well mixed.



So for taste I'd still like to give this recipe 4 clean plates but I just can't do it.  So I give this recipe a confused baby face.

I don't get it?!

Next up :  Chicken Parmesan
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-parmesan-recipe/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Shouldn't it get like, 2 or 3 plates then? Is it a "4 plates or nothin'" scale?

    The salad certainly looks tasty! Definitely seems silly to kebab the pieces, just to take them off.

    ReplyDelete